accessibility_new Dyslexia Friendly

What can I do if I was misled or pressured into buying something?

If you believe that a trader has intentionally misled you or used high pressure and  aggressive selling practices in order to obtain a sale or get you to enter a contract, then you may have rights against them. It is important to note that it falls to yourself to prove that the trader has used aggressive or misleading practices.


If you are within the first 90 days of entering the contract or purchasing the goods, then you may be entitled to hand the goods back or to cancel the contact and be fully refunded.


If the initial 90 days has passed, then you may be entitled to a discount on the price that was originally agreed. The amount of the discount will depend on how serious the trader’s actions were as outlined below, ultimately only a judge can decide what level you would be entitled to.



More than minor




Very serious



You may also be entitled to claim back any additional costs that you have incurred as a result of the traders’ actions and you may be asked to provide evidence of these losses.

What should I do next?

If you haven’t already done so then you should try to speak with the trader about your problem to see if you can to come to an agreement. You can then follow this up with a more formal letter of complaint. It’s best to send this by signed for mail which will allow you to check that it’s been received, alternatively you could send an email with a read receipt. You should also give the trader a reasonable timescale to reply.

Last updated: 18 July 2019

Delivery Law Consumer Advice and Reporting

You can find out more about delivery law here.

Privacy Notice

You can find our privacy notice here. We will never sell your data.

Powered by