accessibility_new Dyslexia Friendly

I have a problem with a train, bus or ferry services


If your train is delayed you should firstly check whether the operator has a Delay Repay guarantee that will allow you to claim back a percentage of your ticket cost, the amount you receive will depend on the cost of your ticket, whether it was a single or return ticket and the length of the delay. If your train is cancelled, then you will be entitled to a full refund.

You should send your complaint to the rail operator along with your original train tickets (you may want to keep a copy in case the originals are lost). If the rail operator doesn’t resolve your complaint, then you can escalate it to the Rail Ombudsman who will carry out an investigation;



Complaints about bus services should be raised with the bus company. In your complaint you should include the date and time of the journey, the service number, the direction you were travelling and a copy of your bus ticket, if you have one.

If your unhappy with the outcome of your complaint or the way in which it was handled, then you can escalate it to Bus Users Scotland who can contact the operator to negotiate on your behalf, although they have no statutory powers to force the operator to do anything.


If you find that your complaint is still not resolved, you can escalate it to the Traffic Commissioner for Scotland.



If your ferry journey is delayed by more than 90 mins then depending on the length of the delay you may be entitled to snacks, refreshments and meals. If you will be delayed overnight, then you may be entitled to be put up in accommodation but only if the delay is not weather related. Some operators may ask that you arrange your own accommodation and they will then reimburse you.

You may also be entitled to additional compensation for a delay.

If the ferry is cancelled, then you’re entitled to a replacement journey if available or a full refund.

You should raise your initial complaint with the operator and follow their complaints procedure fully. If your unhappy with the operator’s response then you may be able to escalate the matter further and the individual operator will be able to tell signpost you to the correct body for this.

You can also make a claim against an operator under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. This states that any service being provided by a trader should be provided with the reasonable care and skill expected of a trader within their profession. If your unhappy with the service that a transport operator has provided then you’re entitled to a replacement journey, or refund of an appropriate amount.

Last updated: 18 July 2019

Delivery Law Consumer Advice and Reporting

You can find out more about delivery law here.

Privacy Notice

You can find our privacy notice here. We will never sell your data.

Powered by